The Complete Odes (Oxford Worlds Classics) Ready
The proper names in Horace's Odes are part of their musical impact, and this can certainly be reproduced in translation, as shown by the editor's own version of 3. Even problematically obscure lists of names are turned to witty account by Tomlinson in 1. Other omissions may reflect cultural transformations: Ellen Bryant Voigt's elegant rendition of 1.
Again on names, some of the translators take liberties with the originals: in 1.
Marie Ponsot's 'Varsus' for 'Varus' in 1. But any minor slips or misinterpretations, and any prosy or merely workmanlike translations of which there are a number , should not be thought to outweigh the important and successful project of this volume in presenting Horace through the prism of some of the best of contemporary verse. The wide variety of translating styles suits the equally wide variety of tone in the Odes, from sexual innuendo to vatic solemnity.
- Why Dont Your Eyelashes Grow?: Curious Questions Kids Ask About the Human Body!
- Selected Myths (Oxford WorldS Classics) ebook;
- WrestleCrap: The Very Worst of Pro Wrestling?
- The Complete Odes (Oxford Worlds Classics);
- Text and Transmission: An Empirical Model for the Literary Development of Old Testament Narratives.
- The Iliad (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback).
- No Rest for the Dove.
Above all, the many brilliant and intriguing versions are a splendid demonstration of the survival, reception and influence of Horatian lyric at the beginning of the twenty-first century. Bryn Mawr Classical Review McClatchy ed.
New Translations by Contemporary Poets. ISBN X. Harrison ccc. Index for Oxford Paperbacks are available from all good bookshops.
- How to Build the Dental Practice of Your Dreams (Without Killing Yourself!) in Less Than 60 Days?
- The Complete Odes and Epodes (Oxford World's Classics).
- The Problem Of Jesus And Christ In Earlier Times.
- Fit2Fat2Fit: The Unexpected Lessons from Gaining and Losing 75 lbs on Purpose.
Selected Myths Oxford World's Classics. Read more.
Complete Letters Oxford Worlds Classics. Encyclopedia of Creation Myths.ustanovka-kondicionera-deshevo.ru/libraries/2019-11-29/2641.php
The Iliad (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
The Epic of Gilgamesh Penguin Classics. Creation Myths of Primitive America. Fantastic Worlds: Myths, Tales, and Stories.
- Right Word Wrong Word: Words and Structures Confused and Misused (Grammar Reference).
- Search Books?
- Oxford University Press.
- Flag this list!
- How to Make a Living Trading Foreign Exchange: A Guaranteed Income for Life (Wiley Trading)!
- Trend Watch List Extended - STeM Alert- The American Parent;
- ISBN 13: 9780199553907.
The Qur'an Oxford World's Classics. The Castle Oxford World's Classics.
About the Series For over years Oxford World's Classics has made available the broadest spectrum of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, voluminous notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
She has written extensively on Homer. Merchant Services. Shopping cart There are no products in your shopping cart. Like us on Facebook Changing Hands Bookstore. Follow us on Instagram changinghands.